Collaborator. Problem-Solver. Peacemaker. Reach Out Today

Qualified Domestic Relations Orders
Attorney in Syracuse, New York

If you plan to share retirement money such as a pension or 401(k) when you divorce, you may need a court order called a Qualified Domestic Relations Order (QDRO) or Domestic Relations Order (DRO).  These orders should be prepared as early as possible in the divorce process, even though they can’t be signed by a judge until after the Judgment of Divorce is signed.   Preparing them early ensures that the correct language is used in the separation or opting out of an agreement, so the money can be transferred properly.  Contacting us early in the divorce process will save you money in the long run.

For Experienced &
Detail-Oriented Assistance

Contact Us

Nancy charges a flat fee to draft the order, plus disbursements (which are usually minimal).  She will obtain pre-approval from the plan administrator when possible, obtain the judge’s signature, get certified copies and file the order with the plan administrator.  

Call or email us today to begin the conversation and find out what you should request from your employer to ensure that the QDRO will be accepted.